As any of you parents know I could go on for a few pages about the joy of parenthood, but alas being a parent instills in me now an even deeper appreciation for the gift of life, and a greater zeal to fight for a more loving, peaceful, and Christ-centered world.
In that vein, please pray for these following initiatives right around the corner:
- Culture Project Missionaries: Please spread the word that scheduling for the Culture Project Missionaries that will return this October (and will be here through May!) to preach about the dignity of the Human Person will begin in full force August 23rd. You can go to http://www.restoreculture.com/ to schedule this year’s missionaries at your school or parish.
- 40 Days for Life: Begins September 28th – Sign up to take an hour to pray each week at Toledo’s last remaining abortion facility: 40daysforlife.com. We’ve tried every legal alternative to save children, now let’s try God’s prerogative – let’s PRAY for the end of abortion!
- 54 Day Novena for Our Nation: TODAY begins a 54 Day Novena for our nation. Catholics in particular are called to pray the rosary daily during these 54 days. You can learn more here: https://www.novenaforournation.com/. As Cardinal Burke states: “There is no doubt that our beloved nation is in one of the worst crises which it has ever experienced, a profound moral crisis which generates division on all levels and results in an ever-greater more pervasive violence and killing. For Roman Catholics, who have always been known for their faith-filled patriotism, the first response to this crisis is fervent prayer and, in particular, prayer through the intercession of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Mary Immaculate who is also the patroness of our nation.”
Finally, check out a few of these upcoming events here in August:
- 40 Days for Life Meeting (Thursday August 18 at 6 pm; Pastoral Center, 1933 Spielbusch Ave., Toledo): We will discuss the urgent need in our community to stand up together across denominations to fight for the end of abortion in our community through using the peaceful means of prayer, fasting and public witness. Join us to help finally end abortion here in Toledo!
- Run Baby Walk Event (Saturday, August 20, at 9 am; 3000 Arlington Ave., Toledo): Join the Pregnancy Center of Toledo for a fun 1 mile walk or 5k run to support their tremendous work in helping mothers and fathers choose life in our community! Find out more on their Facebook Event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1238135516231673/.
- Should Christians Vote for Trump? (Wednesday August 24th 6 pm; Maumee Public Library): Join University of Toledo Professor Lee Strang and myself as we have a friendly debate to talk about this year’s Presidential election. I won’t be telling you who you should vote for, but hope to share some principles from Catholic Social Teaching that might help in informing your decision!
- Women’s Health and Fertility Seminar (Saturday August 27 at 10 am; St. John the Baptist Church, 109 N. Main Street, Glandorf): Leading experts and medical health professionals are gathering to share the good news about NaPro technology and addressing women’s health from a holistic perspective. Don’t miss this exciting seminar to help build the pro-life culture! See attached flyer!
- Live Laudato Si’ (Saturday August 27 at 1 pm; Most Holy Rosary Cathedral Auditorium): Join Bishop Daniel E. Thomas, Sister Sharon Havelak, OSF and more to discuss Pope Francis’ encyclical Laudato Si’ on
Saturday August 27th. The event will include welcoming the community to share how we can care for our common home and discover resources available to move forward in our local community and beyond.
Director of Office for Life and Justice
Catholic Charities Diocese of Toledo
1933 Spielbusch Ave.
Toledo, OH 43604
419-244-6711, ext. 4933