March Madness: The Ohio primary season is here!
Undoubtedly, you’ve already marked your calendars for March 15, the date of Ohio’s primary election, and the day Presidential contenders are hoping to sweep up our delegates.
We’re hoping that you will join us over the next several days in working to get out the pro-life vote! If you are a 501c3 or 501c4 organization, we want your organization to feel comfortable telling friends to “Vote pro-life.” While c3 organizations cannot advocate for specific candidates, you can direct people to our PAC website at ohiovotesforlife.org, and attribute the endorsements to the Ohio Right to Life PAC to ensure that your organization is in compliance with election regulations.
As you know, Ohio Right to Life and PAC members cannot endorse a Presidential candidate under the name of our PAC. We can only advocate on behalf of the candidate endorsed by National Right to Life, once they make their selection. Please find National Right to Life’s candidate comparison piece here.
Aside from political activity, there are a lot of things happening in the broader pro-life community as well. For the second year, Ohio Right to Life is co-sponsoring Students for Life’s Ohio Leadership Summit at The Ohio State University. It will take place on Saturday, April 2, with registration starting at 9:30 a.m. I highly encourage you to promote this among high school and college students! Stephanie and Katie attended last year, and they really enjoyed the opportunity to provide and participate in hands-on training with Ohio’s pro-life generation.
Finally, April 12 is Ohio Right to Life’s Pro-life Legislative Day! This year, we are advocating for the Down Syndrome Non-Discrimination Act. We invite you to join us in meetings with legislators to advocate against discriminatory abortions. If you know any family advocates who love someone with Down syndrome, please invite them to join us. We would love to meet these incredible families and have them share their stories. (To register, click here.)
As usual, there is much happening in the Ohio Right to Life community! With prayerful hearts, we look forward to the month’s life-affirming activities, political and educational alike.
With you for Life,
Director of External Affairs
Affiliate Spotlight: Young Professionals for Life of Cleveland and Cuyahoga Right to Life
This week, we announced the launch of Young Professionals for Life of Cleveland, the second of our YPL affiliates. The organization, which has been in the works for the last couple of months, officially launched on Saturday with a service project at the Cleveland Pregnancy Center. The group, led by attorney Tom Haren, assisted the center with labeling its baby bottles, the center’s primary fundraising tool.
To help launch the affiliate, Cuyahoga Right to Life co-hosted the event. Both Rachel Mullen, executive director of Cuyahoga Right to Life, and Kayla Atchison, director of external affairs for Ohio Right to Life, volunteered on Saturday. Haren, an attorney at Seeley, Savidge, Ebert & Gourash Co., LPA, received his bachelor degree in philosophy from John Carroll University and his law degree from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He now leads a diverse group from professions ranging from law to accounting to social work.
Events Around Ohio
- 40 Days for Life – Now through March 20
- Dayton Right to Life Speaker Series – Feat. Henry Flowers IV – March 10, 2016 – 7:30 a.m.
- Bringing America Back to Life – Cleveland Right to Life – March 11 – 12, 2016
- Primary Election Day – March 15, 2016
- Legislative Briefing Breakfast – Toledo Right to Life – March 18, 2016
- Meeting Featuring Former Miss Ohio Melanie Miller, with Young Professionals for Life of Central Ohio – March 21 – 5:15 PM
- Students for Life Ohio Leadership Summit – Saturday, April 2 – The Ohio State University
- Celebrate Life Dinner – Right to Life of Northeast Ohio – Meet Dr. Alveda King! – Saturday, April 2 – 5 p.m.
- Legislative Day 2016 – Tuesday, April 12, 2016 – REGISTER HERE
- Champaign County Right to Life’s Annual 5K Run/Bike/Walk Fundraiser – Saturday, April 23
- Ohio Right to Life Oratory Contest – Saturday, April 30, 2016 – Central Ohio
- Next Statewide Collaborative – June 17 – Central Ohio – Save the date!
- Pro-life Day of Action – Saturday, June 25 – Save the date!
5K Run/Bike/Walk fundraiser